Tuesday, October 9

Tabby Toozday: Lern More Abowt Tabbies

I fownd some stuff owt abowt tabbies by looking on the innernets. This is frum Dr Jon. He's a frend of my ladey and he sends her emale evry singul day:

Think "tabby" cat and the quintessential tiger-striped cat comes to mind. But "tabby" is not a breed, or a color; it's a pattern -- one so common that the gene responsible for the markings is supposedly present in all domestic cats, even the ones that don't show their stripes. Although tabbies come in a wide range and combination of colors, most have a distinctive "M" on their foreheads. Their markings fall into four main categories:

Marble: Thick bands and swirls form a bulls-eye on the sides:



Ticked: Solid coat with markings only on the face:




Mackerel: Thin body stripes and rings around legs and tail:




Spotted: Large or small spots, much like those of a leopard:



Holy, Makerel, I'm a Makerel!!!! I was reely surprized that thare were so many diffrint tabbies cuz I am the only one I've ever seen! Sinse thare are so many kinds, I think probly tabbies are THE MOST POPULER KIND OF CAT IN THE WERLD!!!

20 comments:

  1. I guess I'm a mackerel too? But I have white on me so maybe I don't count. I guess that means Kaze is a tabby as well....hmm.

    Chase

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a marble on my sides - I think mackerels and marbles go very well together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the Ticked tabby is called ticked because she is all ticked off, hahahahaha!!! I posted a Tabby Tuesday today, Trip. Thought you'd like to check it out.
    Your buddy, Jimmy Joe

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm...what about a tabby that only has markings on his face and legs and tail, but no stripes on his back? the non-black member of our household (Rascal) has that goin' on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yup ... i'mma mackeral, too!
    life'z a trip ... eh trip?
    luv--jh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cats!

    Even though my guys are a maine coon and bengals, I've got one of each: a mackeral, a spotty and a marble! I guess this means I'm not done until a ticked guy joins the family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. im a mackeral too, im kinda ticked on my back

    ReplyDelete
  8. All domestic cats start out as Tabby Cats. I am tabby cat. I have black stripes on black background. when I lay in the sun you can see my "ghost" markings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tabby cats are kool!

    Love,
    Tazo

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a very interesting post Trip with lovely pictures. I think you look very mancatly in your devil outfit too:) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a mackeral too. I even have a ginger colored belly like the tabby in the picture. -Scout

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Tripper. You are a very fun and happy mackeral. we are glad to know ya!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I am an orange mackerel! Thank you for the information, it was very informative.

    I really like your picture, you are not very, very, very skinny, just like me : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ya learn somethin' efurry day, huh?

    Mr. Fuzzypants an' Pumpkin are Mackerel tabbies, too ...

    DMM

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are very interesting tabby facts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brainball's a mackerel orange tabby, too! Them's some kool facts about tabbies, Trip.

    Kittyhugs and purrs from MaoMao!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Trip, is that you in that "Monty" pose?

    ReplyDelete
  18. hehe is that third picture you Trip?? hehe x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mom says I'm a marble tabby! Cool! Thanks for all this great information.

    I have a mackerel tabby cousin on my blog today. She looks like you, Tripper!

    Tabbies RULE!

    ~Jake

    ReplyDelete